Apple Pie using FG Roberts Pastry Mix
Ingredients for Pastry
- 80g FGR Gluten Free Pastry Flour
- (PLUS 1-2 Tbsp. extra flour)
- 35g butter (cut into small chunks and kept in freezer)
- 40mls iced water
- 5mls white vinegar
- 1 egg whisked, for brushing (if desired)
Ingredients for filling
- 45g unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
- 8 large Granny Smith apples
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Method for Pastry
- Measure flour and add to a good bowl. Add butter chunks one by one from freezer and rub into flour with fingertips until all butter is rubbed in. If you want a lighter and flakier pastry, leave some butter in smaller chunks.
- Add the iced water and vinegar to the mixture and mix in. If mixture is still wet, add 1 tbsp. of flour at a time until mixture comes together.
- Wrap pastry in Clingfilm (Gladwrap) and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
- Roll pastry out between 2 sheets of baking paper until it is about 2-3mm thick. If you are blind baking, prick pastry before going into oven. Bake at 200c.
Method for Filling
- To make the filling, peel and core the apples, and cut each into 8 pieces. Toss immediately with lemon juice in a large bowl, to prevent apples from discolouring. Place the butter and sugar in a large frypan over medium-low heat. When butter has melted, add apples and spices, then stir to coat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until apples have softened. Set aside to cool.
- Roll out the larger pastry ball on a floured workbench to a 30cm circle (about 2mm thick). Roll pastry around rolling pin, then unroll over a 22cm metal pie dish. Gently press into corners and allow excess to overhang. Place filling in base with a slotted spoon. Roll the small pastry piece to a 25cm circle. Beat remaining egg with milk, brushing some on rim of the base. Top with small pastry.
- Lift the pie dish and cut excess pastry from edges with a sharp knife. Crimp edges of pastry together the tail of a spoon. Chill for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 180C, place pie dish on a baking tray and cut air vents in the centre of the pie. Brush top of pie with more beaten egg, sprinkle with demerara or caster sugar and bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm or cold with ice-cream.