For basic pasta recipe
- 300g FG Roberts chick pea flour + some extra chick pea flour for rolling 35g FG Roberts plain flour
- 33g rice flour
- 1tsp (approx 3g) xanthan gum
- 1tsp (approx 3g) salt
- 4 eggs
- Water, as needed (approx 200ml)
- 5ml olive oil
For basic sauce
- 500g minced meat of your choice (omit if preferred)
- 10-20ml olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped finely (omit if required)
- 3 garlic gloves, or to taste, minced (omit if required)
- 2 celery stalks, chopped finely
- 1 carrot, chopped finely
- 10 basil leaves, torn
- 3g dried oregano
Feel free to add any other finely chopped vegetables you would like, eg. capsicum, zucchini, mushrooms etc. All wonderfully hidden in the lasagne sauce. I like to mix this up depending on what I have at the time.
- 800g whole, peeled tomatoes, tinned or cooked
- 700g tomato passata
- 200ml water
- 200ml red wine (omit and replace with stock if desired)
- Salt, to taste
- Fine black pepper, to taste
- 3g sugar or 5ml honey, or to taste
To make sauce
- In a saucepan, fry up onion and garlic with olive oil, on low heat until onion begins to clarify. (closing the lid helps keep the onion moist and not burn whilst clarifying).
- Add other chopped veggies and continue to cook.
- Add seasoned mince and brown with chopped vegetables.
- Add whole peeled tomatoes, pressing and mixing with a potato masher.
- Add tomato passata, water, wine, salt and pepper to taste, sugar or honey, torn basil leaves and dried oregano.
- Cover with a saucepan lid slightly ajar, allow to boil and lower heat.
- Allow to cook for a further 20-30mins. Turn off heat and allow to cool.
To make pasta
- Sift chick pea flour, plain flour, rice flour and xanthan gum. Add salt and combine dry ingredients.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and add 4 eggs.
- Combine dry ingredients and eggs until they begin to amalgamate.
- Gradually add water, a bit at a time until you have a desired consistency (aiming for a firm, elastic dough, which is not at all sticky). Hand mix or mix in a food processor.
- Once you are happy with the consistency, knead a few minutes into a smooth ball.
- Divide ball in half and continue halving until you have 16 small, individual pieces.
- Slightly flatten dough pieces, with a little chick pea flour.
- Roll individual pieces using rolling pin, or pasta roller (until you can just see through the pasta sheet). Aim for roughly rectangular pieces, trimming with a knife where required.
To assemble the lasagne
- Alternately layer cooled sauce, parmesan cheese, mozzarella or melting cheese, then pasta for about three or four layers, ending with a good layer of sauce and cheese (covering all pasta).
- Sprinkle a little dried oregano on top if desired.
- Cover with bake sheet and foil, then bake at 180c for 20-30mins until pasta is cooked through and cheese is melted.
- Remove foil and cook uncovered for a further 10mins or until top begins to brown and bubble.
Enjoy! Also delicious layered with a mix of spinach, ricotta cheese, fetta cheese, egg and a little cream to combine. Add cracked black pepper and seasoning as desired. Try adding mint to cheese mix for a fresh alternative