Lemon Meringue Tarts – Bunbury Biscuit Base
Ingredients - Pie Base
- 1 packet Bunbury Biscuit Mix
- 50 grams melted butter
- 50 ml water
Ingredients - Filling
- ½ cup cornflour
- 1 cup caster sugar
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 1 ¼ cup water
- 2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 3 egg yolks
- 60 grams unsalted butter
Ingredients - Meringue
- 3 egg whites
- ½ cup caster sugar
Methods - Base
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees and prepare a large muffin tray
- Add dry mix, melted butter and water to a mixing bowl and combine well
- Roll dough to approx. 5mm deep and use a 10cm round pastry cutter
- Place round dough into prepared large muffin tray and blind bake for 10 minutes and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes before removing the paper
Methods - Filling
To make the filling, combine cornflour and sugar in a pan and gradually stir in juice and water. Stir until smooth. Stir overheat until the mixture boils and thickens (the mixture should be very thick). Be patient as it takes a few minutes to thicken and keep stirring. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring for 30 seconds. Remove from heat and use a whisk to quickly stir in the rind, yolks and butter, stirring until the butter is melted. Cover and cool to room temperature.
Methods - Meringue
- For the meringue, beat egg whites in a small bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar, beating until dissolved between additions.
- Spread the filling into pastry case and top with meringue. Bake in a moderate oven for about five minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. Stand for five minutes before serving.
For best results, leave your eggs out overnight to be truly at room temp.