Meat Sausage Rolls
- 160g F.G. Roberts Pastry Mix
- 70g butter (chilled)
- 80mls iced water
- 10ml vinegar
- 1 Egg for brushing
- 1kg beef sausage mince (you can use any fresh minced meat or meat substitute of your choice if preferable)
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 zucchini, grated
- 1 Granny Smith apple, grated (peeled if you wish)
- 1 Egg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Any chopped herbs or dried spices to your taste
Method - Pastry
- Measure flour and add to a good bowl. Add butter chunks one by one from freezer and rub into flour with fingertips until all butter is rubbed in. If you want a lighter and flakier pastry, leave some butter in smaller chunks.
- Add the iced water and vinegar to the mixture and mix in. If mixture is still wet, add 1 tbsp. of flour at a time until mixture comes together.
- Wrap pastry in Clingfilm (Gladwrap) and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes
Method - Filling
- Preheat oven to 180c
- Add sausage mince, grated vegetables, chutney and seasonings.
- Combine all together very well, ready for filling rolls.
- You can sauté the veggies with a little seasoning and olive oil if you prefer, prior to combining. This adds a more caramelised texture and flavour.
- When ready to use, roll pastry out thinly (3-4mm), dusting with a little flour. It helps to roll out on some bake sheet.
- Cut edges so you have a rectangle shape, ready to add roll filling to centre in a sausage shape.
- Once you add filling, you can lift the bake sheet, turning the pastry over and rolling, so that the pastry seam is at the bottom.
- Brush roll with well whisked egg if desired.
- Sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds if desired.
- Cut into your preferred roll length.
- Bake at 180C for 25mins or until cooked through and golden.
Quantity: Makes approx. 20 party sausage rolls